Thursday 30 August 2007

THOUGHTS OF FORGIVENESS

MEDITATION AND YOUR THOUGHTS OF FORGIVENESS

*I don't want to waste my precious life in the discomfort caused by anger or hurt, so I will decide to feel differently. I am able to forgive myself, forgive others, forgive life...

*I know how it hurts when people don't forgive me. I do not want to hurt other people by my actions, so I will perceive the problem in a way that I can either deal with it or let it go.


*Life is filled with incredible beauty and wonder and I am missing these experiences if I am stuck in the remembrance of old hurts or disappointments. I forgive myself for getting sidetracked.


*People do the best they can and if they don't the best way to help them is by offering understanding. The first step in this process is to forgive whatever constituted the specific offense.


*Everyone, including myself operates primarily out of self-interest. I must expect that some times I, in my self-interest, will be annoyed by some one else's expression of their self-interest.

* If I can understand that this is an ordinary part of life, what is there to be upset about? If I understand that self-interest is my guiding principle, how can I not offer forgiveness to everyone, including myself for behaving that way?

The Art and Science of ForgivenessFrederic Luskin, Ph.D.