Sunday 2 December 2007

THE SCOTT MONUMENT

"This huge Gothic tower was built to commemorate the work of Sir Walter Scott (1771-1832).The foundation stone was laid on August 15th 1840 and it was completed in 1844 at a cost of little over £16,154.00.

Rising to 200ft 6 inches high it contains a spiralling staircase of 287 steps and offers magnificent views from the top spire.

Built of light sandstone, the pollution from traffic over the years has darkened it considerably.Seated under the huge arches of the tower is a solid marble sculpture of Sir Walter Scott with his beloved dog ' Maida' carved by sculptor John Steell. "

I believe it is a very well known building in the world. I knew from a post card, and when I saw it for the first time, I recognized it straight way. Very gorgeous. I little dirty I admit, because of the pollution, but very beautiful.

I have had some opportunities to visit different places, and I really appreciate it.
Internet brings us very close to the world we don't know yet. Beautiful shots really worth to be published.

This is in Scotland, Edinburgh. It was a very pleasant weekend.

"In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the universe.” Hebrews 1:1-2