Wednesday 14 November 2007

CHILDREN WHO NEED PARENTS, NOT PILLS

I try to be an up to date person reading the newspaper everyday. I don't read only the headlines, but also the articles that catch my eyes.



Today, my eyes were caught by the headline above, "Children who need parents, not pills", and it starts like this:



"As BELIEF in God is declines, so children have become our new religion."



Agree or not, I had to read the whole article. Allison Pearson is brilliant and she brings us an idea of how protective we are as parents;

"We don't send nine-year-olds up chimneys like those nasty Victorians, do we? Hell, no."

We are better parents and our kids have the voice, they are heard when they are required, it means, all the time. I would say that we are there to serve them.

"They are our hope of the life to come."

Have you heard about ATTENTION DEFICIT HYPERACTIVITY DISORDER? It is ADHD , and children have been prescribed drugs for hyperactivity. Despite the fact that the drug has caused terrible side effects, as the writer, I am wondering about the caring society. Old people and young people have been sedated.

"Sadly, the medicine that both the very old and the very young need is not available on prescription. It's called time. And time is what we simply don't have to give them."

I had a chance to visit a household in Scotland, and now I know how it is, and there are lots of them. It also reminds me the time my mummy was ill and I couldn't leave her in a nursing home. I tried my best to give the attention she needed, all my love, my care, my time, my respect. But I know my attention was divided, because I had my kids, my family, my job. I don't remember just plonking my kids in front of a DVD instead, to carry on my To-Do list. On the opposite, they were with me, visiting my mummy, living my life, learning through my experience, that you can't have everything you want.

I see that as a consequence of the "crazy" routine people are living nowadays. Society is coming in for drugs, drugs to sleep, to eat, to not eat, to be calm, to be active, and for "n" reasons we can imagine. People are looking for quick fix.

I would say that it is really sad that

"BELIEF in God is declining"

As a Christian I just can see and say, it is never late to change.

“For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive by the Spirit,”1 Peter 3:18